Tuesday, September 12, 2006

TheTVObserver looks at Will & Grace's Premier

It was fun watching Will & Grace’s premier. Mostly because I knew that the show was recorded live, this offered some added fun to the experience. The sad part is the very bad promo’s aired by SABC3 to promote the show. A 16year kid with a home based computer could produce a better trailer than the one produced by SABC3 to promote the premier of the show.

At the beginning of the show, you can see the panic in Debra’s (Grace) eyes.

Eric (Will) was very good in the premier, he did not loose any control, given that the show was live. Malcom played by Alec Baldwin, as a guest star, also does a very good job considering “the live recording fact”.

I should admit, I had more fun watching Sean (Jack) and Debra (Grace) try to keep calm throughout their scenes.

1st Fun Moment
This is the first part of the show where Jack and Karin slightly break character due to laughter. Oh, how we love live television.

JACK: Why? What have I done? My only crime is being irresistible. Besides, Grace, life is too short to waste time on over-thinking things. When an opportunity comes, I don't question it. I grab it, drop its ring on the nightstand, and swing on it 'til dawn!

Debra (Grace) just could not help but laugh. You could actually hear her laugh before she says her lines.

GRACE: You make it –(she stops to laugh slightly)- you make it sound so hot. Necessary even.

The confession: from Jack cracked me up.

JACK: Um, Yeah! And, um, it's also kind of sexy to have a secret no one knows. Like when you drink too much, and get a little tattoo that says "I love Will."

2nd Fun Moment
The second fantastic live action between Jack and Grace happens back inside the apartment when Grace brings lingerie into the living room.

This part just killed me, because; you could see them try to keep from laughing.

[JACK LOOKS AROUND]
JACK: [QUIET] I've never cheated.
GRACE: [SMACKING JACK ON THE CHEST] No!

Jack immediately laughs. It is as if, Sean (Jack) was not expecting Debra (Grace) to push him with such force. This is followed by perhaps the funniest moment between Jack and Grace.

Jack tries to stay in character but it is clear he is having some slight difficulty,

JACK: Yes. I, too, am—(he holds his laughter, but you can see that its hard) I, too, am a woman of quality. Sure, I talk a big game, but deep down, I know it's wrong, and so do you! Let's face it, Grace. You and I, we have always been the moral center of our group.

3rd Fun Moment
[JACK TURNS AND FACES "THE AUDIENCE".]

JACK: The more you know. [WAVING HIS HAND] And shooting star.

The audience laughs and it affects Debra, because just when she is supposed to say her line. She smiles, trying again to keep from laughing.

GRACE: You know what, Jack? (you could hear Sean(Jack) laughing and Grace tries desperately to keep calm and in character) You're right. You're right. You're right. You're right. (Debra, looks into Jacks eyes and she could not hold it any more, she lets out a slight laughter. I think Sean was laughing at how many times Grace kept saying “You’re Right”)

4th Fun Moment
When Jack talks about the G.R.I, it pushed Sean and Debra too far.

[JACK SITS DOWN ON THE SOFA AND PATS THE SEAT NEXT TO HIM. GRACE SITS DOWN.]

JACK: I, um, do not have a G.R.I., glitter-related injury. [SIGHS] It's something much more hideous.

[JACK PULLS OFF THE EYEPATCH. BAM! HE HAS NO EYEBROW! GRACE GASPS IN HORROR AND COVERS HER MOUTH.]

You could see Sean trying to hold on. Debra was gone. You have to understand that they rehearse all their lines and although sometimes they get re-writes on set. It actually takes a lot for them to loose character or to be affected by their lines.

GRACE: Wh-- What-- What happened to your eyebrow?

JACK: Funny you should ask. During the fire, I sing'd it off.

This was hilarious.

5th Fun Moment
[GRACE AND JACK ARE SITTING ON THE SOFA. GRACE IS FIXING JACK'S EYEBROW WITH AN EYEBROW PENCIL. ROSARIO IS SITTING ON THE LOVE SEAT IN THE TELEVISION ROOM.]

KAREN: Well. Will said something that has made me very curious.

[JACK TURNS AROUND. GRACE HAS DRAWN A LARGE ARCHED EYEBROW TO REPLACE HIS MISSING ONE.]

This is the first time Megan (Karen) is pushed to her limits as well. You could actually see her turning her head and looking around the room to keep from laughing. Trying to avoid direct eye contact with Jack's animated eyebrow. She did a very good job compared to Sean (Jack) and Debra (Grace).

It took Karen (Megan) 22seconds before she could say her next lines, just to keep from laughing. During which the audience is going at it, and Sean (Jack) also could not stop laughing. 22second in television is very long time.

KAREN: Well, I see you're curious too, (Jack "Sean" begins to laugh because Karen turn to look at him). I just don't understand why Will would lie to me about Stan being alive. I mean, come on, let's face it, Will and I have always been the moral center of our group.

Wrap
For a live show recorded twice in one day, for the West and East coast viewers of NBC in USA. It was the most fun show I ever watched, because I knew it was live and they had to get their lines right, because there was no room for error.

The sad thing about the show is SABC3’s poor promotional trailer, they could have made an event out of the premier (iro the live taping of the show). It was the first for Will & Grace, and NBC promoted the premier heavily and it drew-in an impressive audience.

Trivia
  • The episode was broadcast live twice,
  • The episode takes place entirely in Will's apartment and the hallway outside.
  • Megan hurt her ankle while dancing at home, so Karen's part had to be re-written to accommodate Megan's inability to walk without crutches.
  • Jack and Grace have a lot of interaction in this episode. During both live performances, Debra and Sean got the giggles several times.
  • Malcolm gets a last name in this episode, Widmark.

The Observer’s Favorite Jokes from Will & Grace Premier

1.)
WILL: Your package is dripping.
MALCOLM: What can I say? I like her.
WILL: Uh. The ice cream sandwiches! Give me that

2.)
WILL: Yeah. He's not my boss anymore. I quit. The whole thing is just complicated and convoluted. It doesn't even make any sense. It's like the contract they make you sign when you marry Tom Cruise.

3.)
GRACE: I'm going to meet Tom. You know what? I'm not even going to think about it. I'm going to close my eyes and do what I want. Oh, hey, hello, I'm George Bush, ha-ha.

No comments: