Thursday, March 26, 2009

TheTVObserver: Maggie Webster


I have always observed Maggie (Karin Van Der Laag) on Isidingo and noticed her issue with weight. She later left Isidingo to do that boring movie and apparently had to add some weight and she came back a bit bigger than when she left. She has tried over the years, I assume to deal with her weight, but it seems to be la failed attempt.

Now this situation of hers has been turned into the subject of the show’s storyline. Desperation or inspired?, I don’t know. Could this be a good idea? I my opinion, it depends. Am sure Karin Van Der Laag who plays Maggie, is well aware that this part and its storyline is going to define her beyond her limited display of phenomenal acting abilities.

She has taken on a subject matter which will mix fact with fiction. I find it to be very risky and should there be adequate support available to her in order to loose the weight, then it may just be a hit. Observing her going through complex emotion whilst Kevin explain what she needs to do to get in shape was just humiliating. Kevin sounded very ignorant of the fact that Maggie may have more of an emotional issue, than an ambition to have a flat stomach.

As much as I respect people who are overweight, I do believe that the show’s decision to use their own cast member as the subject of this on-going debate by every society in the country, was brave and could backfire However this topic reminds of the most recent episode of 3rd Degree feature the man pictured below.

As much as I respect people who are overweight, I do believe that the show’s decision to use their own cast member as the subject of this on-going debate by every society in the country, was brave and could backfire However this topic reminds of the most recent episode of 3rd Degree featuring the man pictured below.

I hope he gets better but I do respect how open he was (a bit to open thou) about his situation. I swear, I could not watch the whole thing, I ended up not eating my late super.

Observing Maggie bake and eat, including the scene with the juice and snacks all on the table feeling sorry for self after Stella told her what she thinks of her situation. I have mixed emotions about this because you can’t edit this off or you can’t make a super “it works and I am thin” type fake sell.

Nine Muffin from the pan for breakfast?......for some reason I kept thinking of those giant things they serve at M&B...who eats those things. Anyway...nine is a sign of problems. Stella came down on her very hard.

But it should interesting to know how Karin Van Der Laagis will deal with her situation on a public front when the whole country talks about her and her battle with weight on screen.

I wonder if she is even aware that this is going to be an element of her acting which is going to spill over to her real life.

Whatever the case, I find this to be an interesting curve in Isidingo’s attempt to increase their viewership. I will watch to see if she will deal with her weight and how, if at all.

Watching her niece try very hard to be supportive is sad and it may give us an idea of what some family members deal with on a day to day basis. When she saw Maggie with her head in the fridge in the middle of the night, that was a low point. She is probably the most affected by her condition.

I would like to praise Karin Van Der Laag who plays Maggie for her brave decision to allow the show to use her condition to portray an important subject.

By TheTVObserver
© 2009. TheTVObserver. All Rights Reserved. Pictures used on TheTVObserver graphics and information sourced from third parties are the property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.

No comments: